A hummingbird is an American breed bird, who is one of the smallest birds present in the world. You must be wondering why this bird is called a hummingbird? the answer to this is that these birds, by flapping their wings create humming sound, therefore, these birds are called hummingbirds. They beat their wings and develop a sound that is audible to the human ear easily.
These birds have a long life span mostly of 3 to 5 years. Hummingbirds are the adorable species of birds. Normally a hummingbird has 940 feathers. We are going to discuss on the hummingbird food, size of a hummingbird, range, and lifespan.
Where does Hummingbird live?
In the western hemisphere, southern chile and southeastern Alaska, hummingbirds can be found. Hummingbirds live in tropics. In the forest of the northern Andes and adjacent foothills, you will find the greatest species of hummingbirds.
Size of Hummingbird
There is no same size for a hummingbird as there are many species of these birds, all have different sizes. We will tell you all the information about the size of hummingbirds, the smallest ones, the normal ones, and the special species. Mostly the size of hummingbirds measures between 3 to 5 inches in length. The smallest hummingbird among the world lies between size of 2 inches in length and it weighs 2 grams or less. And in general, the hummingbird is about 3.5 inches in length.
What is Hummingbirds Food?
Hummingbirds usually like sugary and sweet food. They eat the nectar of flowers, the sap of trees, pollens and insects for their appetite. A hummingbird needs to eat a lot amount of food daily to be alive. The appetite of a hummingbird is just like bees.
When to Start Feeding Hummingbirds?
In the mid of march, you should start feeding hummingbirds. In the southern united states, the hummingbirds will start arriving in February. By the start of the month of April, the hummingbirds will arrive to the upper united states. Place your hummingbird feeder at a shady place and take note if hummingbirds arrives within 3 days.
When to Stop Feeding Hummingbirds?
As we know, hummingbirds are migrant birds their arriving and departure time is not particular. You should stop feeding the hummingbird in mid-march and early April.
How to attract hummingbirds?
Hummingbirds are birds who make their nests where they find the better origin of food, water, and place to live. We are going to tell you some tips on how you can attract these birds.
- Plant a tree in a wonderful garden full of bee balms, hostas, butterfly bushes, columbine, azaleas because these all have tasty nectar and attractive colors.
- Say no to spray pesticides near hummingbird.
- Make nectar for them on your own by adding sugar and water in a pot. Boil them for about 2 to 3 minutes and let it cool.
- Do not forget to change the nectar every 3 to 4 days. Make sure to not exceed this limit.
- Hummingbirds attract red color whenever they are hungry therefore try to decorate your yard with stuff in red color.
- Make Sure that the feeder you hung in the yard is colored, if not then color it preferably in red.
Most of the hummingbirds die when they are just in their first year. The complete age limit of a hummingbird if it survives is about 3 to 5 years. The age limit of banded ruby-throated hummingbirds is about at least six years and 11 months. Well when it comes to banded rufous birds, their lifespan is approximately eight years and one month according to the current record age.
Bee Hummingbird Facts
- The smallest hummingbird species is a bee hummingbird.
- The bee hummingbird belongs to the family of Trochilidae.
- The length of bee hummingbirds is between 5 to 6 centimeters in length.
- Their weigh lies between 1.6 to 1.9 grams.
- They live for 7 years and 10 years is rare.
- They can easily be hunted by hawks, falcons, kestrels, frogs, orioles, fishes and even tropical spiders.
- The egg of a bee hummingbird is as same as the size of a pea.
The hummingbirds are found all around the world and it is a little hard to attract them just provide them with their necessary requirements. There are many sizes of hummingbirds of various species and all of them have their own facts. We hope that we provide you with all the information you were looking for.