There are many dogs who love water and likes to go on seas, beaches, water parks, lakes and also enjoys being on boats in the middle of the water. Is your Dog Afraid of Water? Some dogs are natural swimmers and some are naturally drowned. But Water Safety for Dogs is necessary for us. you have to train your dog for swimming. there are many tips to Teach a Dog to Swim and dog training methods you can use to get your dogs in the water.
Does Dog Swim?
Some people believe that doggies are a natural swimmer hence they do not know that all dogs cannot swim. Dogs generally start paddling as soon as they get into the water, therefore, people think that they are natural swimmer they do not require any training or lessons. Dogs paddle their feet when they are in the water but they cannot survive for a long time in it. In a deep or extraordinary length water place, a dog will drown easily without training.
Some breeds can easily swim like they were born to swim but some breeds have a very poor connection with water. Breeds like the Labrador, golden retrievers, poodle, Portuguese, Irish setter, English setter and German shepherd love to swim. On the other side bulldogs, Shih Tzu, boxer, bichon-frise, greyhounds, Alaskan malamutes, and chow-chow are worst swimmer breeds. They don’t even like to be near water.
Why are Dogs Scared of Water?
Some doctors and experts believe that the dogs who are afraid of water suffered a bad experience when they were small. That is why the fear of water is set into their minds and hearts as well. Well if you feel your dog is scared of water, you should never try or force your dog near water.
The best possible way to get your dog familiar with water is to take your dog on the beach or around the pool but remember to not force your dog into the water. This technique will remove the fear slightly from the dog’s mind. Once your dog will feel comfortable near water it will be easy for him to get to know with water. Dog swimming in water are usually trained or naturally gifted but still, they cannot survive for so long in a never-ending and deep watery place for a long time.
Training of Dogs to be in Water
No doubt dog needs to train before letting them into the water. Training is necessary for dog swimming. All around the world, we see the contest going on where dogs swim. This all is just because of the training, a dog is trained to swim and win. But the question arises now is how is dog training done for swimming? It is very easy just follow and learn.
- Show your dog how to get in and out of the pool. Show yourself as an example to your dog so the doggie follows you and learn.
- Use a life jacket for your dog during the training session.
- Take a dog who swims and loves it, if your dog will see another dog swimming he might also copy him.
- Support your dog and make him swim with you.
- When you think that your dog is enough trained to swim, contest with your friend and make him a professional.
5 Dog Safety Tips for You
Dog safety is most important before you got him into swimming. Make sure you have done the entire thing necessary for the safety of dogs. These dog safety tips will provide you with information on how to protect your dog inside the water.
- Select a shallow spot in the water at first
- Do not remove the leash from your dog while he is on training
- Check the temperature of the water before getting your doggie in. make sure the water is not extra cold as dogs cannot survive much cold water, only a few breeds like huskies can.
- Make sure the water is clear from germs and bacteria’s as it can make your dog sick.
- Rinse your dog with clean water as the bacteria, allergies, and bodies in water can be dangerous for the dog. Try to give a fresh bath to your dog after swimming.
Dogs love swimming but not all breeds as we mentioned before. The safety measure must take before getting your dog in the water. If your dog is scared of water, give him space and time he wants and do not force him to jump into the water as it can affect him badly. We hope that this article helps you get all the answers you were looking for.